Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Rain in San Patricio Falls Mainly on the Sofa?

On the 'new' patio, just hours before the infamous rain storm!  

Two weeks ago, Sunday, we had one of those huge, rare rains.  Having been in drought conditions, we made up for much of it in about 24 hours.  That night we had about 5 inches.  Naturally, the porch leaked like a sieve.  The last time we had even more than that - 8 inches in a night, was about 7 years ago, when everything flooded.  The parents' had not closed in the porch at that time.  I was staying down with them that weekend.  My mother is dealing with a flare up of her Sciatic nerve, and is in agony.  (It's doing better).  So, Runs and I were down there, so she could take some pain meds and not worry about APR. 

The storm started about midnight.  Naturally Rums needed to bark at the thunder - all night long.  My mother had not believed me about the little monster and his barking at the thunder.  She does now.  I was tired.  The sofas on the porch are wonderful.  The lightening was a spectacular show that night.  I wanted to sleep one of the sofas and watch the lightening over the mountains. 

Forget that.

Drip

Drip

Drip

I put a pan where I was sitting, and went back to the other room and gave up, turned on reruns of I Love Lucy, then the early news.  I put few pans in other places, but missed on on the other sofa.  The rain continued well into the morning, turning everything into England green.  The previous day it had been New Mexico dead and dying.  It now looks like Jamaica!

Later in the morning, after Maggie arrived, I was in the kitchen with my mother.  So was Maggie.  APR, now dressed for the day, comes into the kitchen.  He's now wearing pull-on Depends.  Doesn't phase him in the least.  He just stands there, looking at my mother.

"My pants are wet and I didn't do it.  I sat on the sofa where it had leaked."

You know, you just gotta' laugh.  It was funny.



All rights reserved, SJ Reidhead

No comments:

Post a Comment