Monday, June 6, 2011

Don't Blame Me, I Have Alzheimer's

Cute Princess Sadie
Unless he is tired, which hits about 3PM or so, my father has been quite with it lately.  Yesterday he did something.  I remember telling my mother that he's going to start using Alzheimer's as an excuse, for things he knows perfectly well he is doing.

We picked Laura up at the airport in Roswell this morning, then went to Chillis for lunch. We were sitting there when APR asked if he need to get my mother a gift for his birthday.  He did not remember getting her anything for her birthday.  He did not.  She received a large gift for Christmas, which would last for a year's worth of gifts from him.

He told her that was good.  "Don't blame me for forgetting about your birthday, I have Alzheimer's!"

I looked at him.  "I suppose you are going to say the same thing when you forget your anniversary."

"That's not a bad idea."  So, he looks at my mother.  "Don't blame me for forgetting your anniversary.  I have Alzheimer's.   I'm not in my right mind."

We were heading to the airport to pick up Laura.  I went a different way, taking the bypass, which goes right into the airport, coming out near the former hanger where the alien bodies were allegedly taken.  On the way down to Roswell, he told me he would take that bypass.  I just needed to turn right.  He got that right.

There was a discussion about when I should make a left turn.  I argued a little with him - I'm not letting him get away with stuff because he has Alzheimer's.  Finally he admitted he'd never been that way, and he really can't remember because he has Alzheimer's.  I finally made a left turn.  "See, I told you that you would need to turn left."

He was right.

When he is rested, his mind is still working very well.  It is when he gets tired.  That bodes ill for his birthday party at the end of the week.  We need to get him rested.

We need to laugh as long as we can.  In a way I think he is relieved to know there is an answer as to why his brain isn't working right.

1 comment:

  1. He doesn't sound as bad as some of my friends who have the disease. They are not aware that anything is wrong with them even though they ask the same questions over and over again. Are you familiar with St Dymphna, the patron saint of mental disorders? You might want to ask for her intercession.

    ReplyDelete