Thursday, March 17, 2011

Make 'Em Laugh

Today around noon my father called.  He wanted to let me know that he had given ____ a check for ____ the other day and did not think he had stubbed it.  I've been handling the checkbook for nearly six months, paying bills, keeping track of things.  He just couldn't remember when he wrote the check.  It could have been this week, could have been a month ago.

After I remembered when he had given ____ a check for ____, I began to see the humor in the situation.  I suddenly realized my problem was the fact that I'd lost my sense of humor. Let's face it, you can either laugh or cry.  Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone.

His GP said that one of my father's problems as he goes into this long decline is the fact that he may be too trusting, an easy mark for someone who wants to cheat him.

The information reminded me of the story of Aunt Alice and Aunt Esther.  A con artist managed to talk them out of all of the art and antiques Tom Perkins had collected over the years while he traveled the orient.  The things were worth a fortune.  They sold those, along with a 12 piece full dinner setting of Belleek.  The criminal basically stole their treasures, giving them $100 for thousands of dollars worth of things.

Scary, isn't it?

Princess Sadie's "IT" Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment