Friday, March 25, 2011

This Is Reality

On Thursday, while I was at the beauty shop, my mother comes in, terribly upset.  "Delle is on the phone, and you should hear what your father is telling him."  She told Delle to call me, which he did.  Delle was terribly upset, knowing something had happened.  He and my father have been friends since two months before Star Wars premiered on the Silver Screen.

My father, Doc Annala, and Sadie - Birthday 2010
She was terribly upset.  I asked if she would hide the truth of what was going on if my father had cancer.  She said not, that she was not trying to hide things.  She is having a rough time coming to terms with the changes in their lives.  She is absolutely exhausted. 

Perhaps an hour later, after getting some protein down my father he was fine.  He was great all evening.  He has this little problem with Ruidoso and New Mexico.  If it weren't so sad, it would be almost funny.  He is blanking it.  He just refuses to accept that this is where he lives.

The odd thing about all of this is the fact that he is doing great with certain aspects of his short-term.  His grasp on current events and politics is limited only by the fact that he is or is not wearing his hearing aid.  Perhaps that is what is really sad.

He eventually remembers what he has said.  It troubles and upsets him.  By tomorrow he will remember most of what went on today, including how he screwed some things up with his memory.

And - there is nothing that can be done about it, medically.

No comments:

Post a Comment